Tuesday, July 7, 2009

She Might Be Saved...For Now

I got a call from my boss at work today, there might be a way to save my job for the time being, it only involves being open to EVERYTHING THEY THROW AT ME SATURDAY THROUGH TUESDAY. The worst part being I'd only be guaranteed 12 hours if that. She lost two of the baristas that usually work night shifts, so if I go back I would have to open and close on multiple days. The only problem I have with this is that I hate working night shifts, not because it's too much work, but that it's too easy. Around 4pm the store winds down, and really I don't feel like I belong there at that time, my place (and where I operate the best) is in the opening/morning crew where it's too busy to look at a clock. I like to keep myself preoccupied. Also, I don't have good work shoes. The ones I wear to work have been worn out so badly you can see my socks through the rubber on the bottom of the shoe.

As you would have guessed, this is going to be another call for commissions if anyone is interested in helping out. I need to keep this job, I don't want to have to train for a new one yet again. Not just yet at least. I might actually have to look into a second job to pay my rent while I'm in school. I can't live on an estimated 12 hours a week paycheck.
So it's out there if anyone wants anything done, I'll even do design work if anyone needs a logo for layout done (I will post more examples of my design portfolio for whoever is interested).

Note me if you are, I'll be more than glad to have the work. It's all helping me get some practice in anyway.

I'm heading home on Wednesday, I'm sure I'll get sick again going from 60 some degrees in New York to 110 and hotter in Vegas. But I have lots of artwork to color and post not only for fanfics I've been drawing for, but also for the Dommi project I've been working on with April French. Yay for originality!

Anyway, cheers everyone. And for my stateside friends, I hope you all had a great 4th of July. For my friends at AILV, I hope you enjoyed the NICE BREAK we got and are looking forward to school next week.

2 comments:

Harmony said...

When's the last time you worked a night shift - at your old store? Sure, it's not so busy that you bleed out of every orifice, but it's not really boring either. Personally I think being stuck on one spot all morning is boring. There's plenty of stuff to do at night. I used to open and do early mornings at the beginning of my Starbucks career and I much prefer to close, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I say 12 ours a week is way better than no job at all. You should do it until you find something better. Huzzah.

Danielle said...

I haven't worked a night shift since I was at my old store. But even then I was working with people I knew and had good working relationship with. The store has had a revolving door of shifts and baristas coming in and out lately so no one really gets Bambi's way of running the place. Zach and Shante aren't there from what I'm told so I'm kinda bummed. I just prefer to work mornings because it goes by so much faster than evenings, not only that but all of my favorite customers swing by that time.
But I am grateful to still have something for the time being. I just wish Starbucks would knock off this Optimum Scheduling crap because sooner or later the plan is going to fail miserably.